Tuesday, December 11, 2007

My Big Belly, Big Babies, and Bedrest

Sorry it's been so long since the November post... We're 34 weeks and counting down. I'm puffy and getting more miserable as we go. My belly is heavy and stretched and measures 43 weeks. There's been much excitement lately, and not all of it the good kind. A couple of weeks ago, we had an ultrasound that revealed that one of the babies is a full pound larger than the other- not necessarily a bad thing, but we needed to get a consult to make sure the baby girl was growing alright. After our appointment downtown, we were told everything checked out. It was such a relief. She's just genetically smaller at 4 lb 1oz. The boy weighed in at 5 lb 5 oz.

Then, last week at our 33 week checkup, my blood pressure worried the doctor, along with some headaches I'd been experiencing. Instead of meeting a photographer for some maternity pictures, I found myself checking into the hospital for the night for observation. Blood was drawn, labs were done, blood pressures taken, and by morning it was determined that I have pregnancy-induced hypertension. The Doc discharged me and told me to take it easy, so now I'm on modified bedrest. Thank God it worked out. It was such a relief to be able to go home without taking any extreme measures. We need 2 more weeks to get our girl to 5 pounds, and then we should be good to go! We have another ultrasound on Friday to see how everything is going in there.

As for the maternity pictures, we decided to forego the photographer and just take some ourselves... especially since I can't even leave the house anymore. This is the only time anyone will ever see my belly, but I thought the photos came out pretty well. Not bad for amateurs. I have to give Brent props. Here's one of the better photos:


Oh yeah, and my baby sister, Rachel, had to be rushed to the ER on last for severe abdominal pain. Her ovary apparently ruptured, but the doctors were able to save it, and there was more news- she's pregnant! So much excitement! Congrats Rachel & Harold!

No comments: